Confident and empowered youth that have the skills to make healthy life decisions
Mission StatementCreating and ensuring environments where all youth are able to resist negative influences while embracing positive opportunities.
The Benton County Above the Influence Coalition is a group of local residents and professionals who have come together for a common goal — the prevention of substance abuse among youth in our county. We create positive change through social marketing efforts, policy reform, and education. We take that responsibility very seriously, but we always have a good time working together!
The BCATI started in Fall of 2009 and since then has been successfully tackling issues regarding access to alcohol, marijuana, tobacco and other illegal products.
We encourage involvement from parents, youth, schools, law enforcement, civic organizations, faith organizations, health professionals, social services, and elected officials. Each person and organization in this community provides a unique perspective on the issues we are working to address.
Past efforts include but are not limited to:
- Football Social Marketing
- Booths at the high schools
- Homecoming pamphlets
- Sticker-shock campaigns
- Celebrate with Care
- Youth Summit
- Window clings
- Alcohol-free graduation signs
- Organized Town Hall meetings
- Held booths at community events
- Street Drugs 101 training
- Community health needs assessments
- Take Charge youth conference
- Abbe Center
- Area Substance Abuse Council
- Benton Community School District
- Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
- Vinton Shellsburg Community School District
- Virginia Gay Hospital
- Belle Plaine School District
- Benton County Sheriff Dept.
- Vinton Police Dept.
- Benton County Public Health
- Flourishing Families of Benton and Iowa Counties
- Vinton Today
- Reality Check